Monday, November 7, 2011

Writers Block = One Stressed Out Writer

It's not the first chapter in a novel that is crippling and hard to write. Oh no, it's that final chapter. It's that chapter that ends the journey and leaves you with nothing but a memory and a finished novel.

I have always stuck to that phrase. I was always being told that writing the first chapter was going to be the hardest. When I was writing my first novel I hadn't been thinking and was just writing down whatever was in my head. I wasn't concerned with POV, settings, characters, or prose. I was simply writing because I had a story that NEEDED to get out of my head and out onto paper. I wasn't thinking of it as difficult. It was fun and it was the easiest thing I have ever written.
I find such relief and yet deep sadness at the completion of a novel. My second book was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. It was magical and it was beautiful, but it was hard. Very hard. Would I do it again? In a heart beat. I learnt so much with that book. I started writing and I didn't stop until that last chapter when I suddenly drew a blank. I felt that no matter what I wrote, it wasn't going to be a good enough finish to such a fantastic novel. No matter what I wrote I felt that it wasn't going to do the novel justice. Finally I settled and just finished the thing.
It was my second novel that led me to say the beginning phrase. After that novel, I was sure that the last chapter was the hardest, after all, I blew through the first chapter like it as nothing but sawdust. I knew the story and I knew where I wanted it to start, I knew every detail about the climax it was only that dreaded last chapter that crippled me.
But now, as I start on my third novel (A crazy thought all on it's own) I take back that first statement. On this novel, the first chapter has been nothing short of terrible. I don't know what's worse: being discouraged at the beginning or discouraged in the end. I'm leaning toward the latter. 
For this newest work, I know where I want this story to go, but I have no idea how I'm going to get there. Until about an hour ago. I have finally finished the first chapter and already I can feel myself getting more courageous and more fired up for this ride. 
Writing has become such an amazing journey. I feel such a calling on my life and I can't wait to share what I believe with the world. I feel so empowered and impassioned. 
If you are a writing I encourage you to keep writing. No matter what you need to write. Discouragement is a killer, so don't let it get you down. :)
Blessings
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment